1931 has a cast of dozens of characters, giving our intrepid heroine opportunities for banter, back-talk, companionship, compassion, enmity, excitement, friendship, folly, frustration, intrigue, mentorship, obstruction, and many other potential provocations. On this page they are grouped by general significance.
The Star Edit
Scheherazade 'Sadie' Keating is the player character, driven by a passion for archaeology and a restlessly free spirit. Raised in New York by visionary academics and wealthy socialites, Sadie comes of age less than a decade after the passing of the 19th Amendment, less than a year into the Great Depression, and three years before the repeal of alcohol prohibition. Anyone who gets in her way may or may not regret it, but almost always underestimates her capability, luck, and circle of friends.
Your mission is to steer (to some degree) Sadie's procession through her first year of university, selecting which people, projects, and talents to focus on. To that end, there is a core group of interested parties who are almost always standing by (coincidentally or otherwise!) to lend their assistance - or ask for Sadie's ...
The Main Characters Edit
The main NPCs are
and 'the guys':
- Felix Weber (a mechanic and childhood friend, whom Sadie hasn't seen for about five years)
- Nigel Hemsworth (a grad student at NYU who teaches Sadie's freshman archaeology class)
- Roland Smith (a mysterious Englishman who turns up with suspicious frequency in Sadie's travels)
- Sterling Evans (another mysterious character, from a family of treasure-hunters)
- Ahmose-ankh (possibly Sadie's most astonishing discovery of all time ...)
Each 'guy' (male main character) is a potential romantic interest for Sadie, so in addition to individual Relationship levels and Inspiration Tables, each also has a unique [potential] Dream score (which in turn has its own corresponding Inspiration Table). The most important distinction is that Sadie can only commit to one Dream at a time, which has two implications:
- Pursuing a romance to the point of generating a Dream score for her 'chosen guy' will reset the Dream of Family score to zero;
- Sadie can maintain discrete friendships (represented by Relationship score) with any and all of the guys, but pursuing a romance will put an end to the chosen guy's Relationship score. (In other words, in pursuing a romance with a guy whose Relationship score was well above the other main NPCs, Sadie's bonus for Expansion in the Relationship Skill suite will fall to the next-highest 'tier' reached among the remaining Relationships.)
- Example: Sadie's Relationship with Ahmose is her highest Relationship score: let's say, 42. At this point, each action to Expand a Skill from the Relationship suite has a bonus of 4 points. If Sadie decides to embark on the Dream of Ahmose path, that Relationship score of 42 disappears. At that point, if the next highest Relationship score is below 40 (let's say Evelyn at 37), Sadie's Expansion Bonus for Relationship skills will decrease (in this case, down to 3 points per action) until such time as any remaining Relationship score is raised sufficiently.
Character Index Edit
This is categorized according to the sprites assigned to characters in dialogue:
- Unique Individuals: those characters with dedicated sprites or other images; almost all of them have proper names
- Generic: characters whose sprites are 'shared' with other characters (some named, some nondescript)
- Miscellaneous: characters who have no images assigned, but are still important enough for dialogue in the game and their own page on the wiki.
- Unused Sprites: images included in the code, but without application in the standard-issue game.
Lists are alphabetically ordered, by first name where applicable (in the game, most surnames are only said once and generally do not appear on the name line of the dialogue box).
- Abigail & Hazel
- Annaliese Weber
- Anna Wardenclyffe
- Anne McMurray
- Arun Kadam
- Arun Kadam al-Khafir
- Augustus 'Gus' LeFleur
- Baron Samedi
- Big Daddy 'Dan' Daniel
- Bill McMurray
- Black Rose Cultist
- Brown Rabbit
- Rachel Hammersly
- Ramazan Kurt
- Reginald Davies
- Roland Smith
- Rose Duquesne
- Rüdeger von Prenzwald
- Samuel Bolivar
- Scheherazade Keating
- Sobo Kessou
- Sterling Evans
- Stephan Deveny
- Steven Deveny